Saturday, September 24, 2011

10 Reasons Why I Hate Google Plus

I hate Google Plus. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration but since it’s introduction only a few weeks ago Google Plus has become the #1 hit on the Top 40. Truth be told – I do have a Google Plus account and am enjoying learning more about this new social media channel. My frustration, however, stems more from people’s reaction to Google Plus and not necessarily a reaction to the tool per se.
With all that being said I’d like to share 10 Reasons why I hate Google Plus:

1. O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D

Can you spell Overrated? I just did. While I’m excited about the possibilities of Google Plus I have to admit that the early predictions surrounding Google Plus as being a Twitter and/or Facebook killer are a bit premature.

2. Copycat

While I do like the new Google Plus interface, I can’t determine any new features compared to other social media channels. Google might have a cleaner interface, and arguably better interpretation of features, but fundamentally Google Plus hasn’t added anything new to my social media experience.

3. Where’s The Business Love?

Google Plus currently only supports personal profiles and haven’t launched Business Profiles yet.   This raises two questions for me: 1. How will business profiles differ from personal profiles? and 2. How will the introduction of business profiles change the dynamic that currently exists on Google Plus with only individuals participating? Only time will tell.

4. Interface Size/Spacing

While I do like the visual aesthetic of the G+ interface I’m not liking all the white space which doesn’t allow me to view as much information as compared to the Facebook interface. I dislike that I can only see a few posts on Google Plus when in the same space I can much more on Facebook or Twitter.

5. Facebook Killer, really?

I’m not aware of Google referring to G+ as a Facebook killer but now that Facebook has 750 million users I hardly believe that G+ will “kill” Facebook.

6. Remember Google Wave

I admit that I was consumed in the buzz surrounding the launch of Google Wave. Google positioned Wave as the evolution of email – well that didn’t quite happen. I actually thought that Wave could have been a useful tool but Google eventually gave up on Wave and released the code as open source.

7. Show Me The Money

Make no mistake about it – Google is all about making money. I have absolutely no problem with that and admire them for how good they are but you need to recognize that Google Plus is not monetized yet. Where are they going to put the ads? How, if any, will the G+ experience change. Again, only time will tell…

8. Limited Audience

This isn’t really Google’s problem but it is a fact. I’ve heard it reported that G+ now has around 10 million users but compare that to 750 million for Facebook and 200 million on Twitter I would argue that Google Plus has a long way to go.

9. Google’s Social Media Track Record

Google’ social media track record has not been great. Who remembers Orkut? I certainly don’t. Although Google is the 1000 pound gorilla in terms of Internet companies they haven’t been able to throw their weight around with regard to social media. Similar to mutual funds, past performance doesn’t indicate future returns, either positive or negative, but it will cause me to withhold judgement on Google Pluses impact on social media.

10. Your Turn

What do you think? Are you ready to anoint Google Plus as a Facebook “Killer” or are you withholding judgment until a later date?
Let me know by posting your initial thoughts in the comments section below. I would love to get your feedback!
(source www.schneiderb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts